This guide will explain what bridge mode is and how it can be used to mitigate issues found in a double NAT scenario.
What is bridge mode?
Bridge mode is a networking feature that enables two routers to coexist without any issues. When this setting is enabled, the Vilo passes data and extends the Wi-Fi for the primary router, allowing you to connect over a greater distance. In addition, this feature no longer performs NAT (Network Access Translation) processes and allows the router to function smoothly without creating an IP address conflict.
When setting up Vilo where this is already an existing router, a double NAT will be created. This causes conflict because the existing router and the Vilo each provide a separate network. Because bridge mode disables NAT, the connected devices on the Vilo network will be assigned an IP address by the primary network.
Important things to remember:
- We only recommend using bridge mode for a double NAT scenario. If you directly connect Vilo to a modem, enabling bridge Mode could cause issues.
- We do not recommend using bridge mode when two Vilo networks have a double NAT scenario.
- The following features are not available when Bridge Mode is enabled: Usage Report, DHCP Reservation, Connected Devices Management, Parental Controls, and Guest Wi-Fi. We only support Bridge Mode for DHCP configuration when the Vilo is wired to the primary router.
How to enable bridge mode:
ISP Web Portal
- Log in to the ISP Portal
- Select the network under the “Wi-Fi Networks” page and click on “View”
- Go to the “LAN Settings”
- Choose “Bridge Mode” from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Vilo network from the home page of the app
- Go to Settings (click on the three dots in the top right-hand corner)
- Tap "Advanced Settings"
- Select "Lan Settings"
- Choose "Bridge Mode"
Bridge mode is a great option for customers who already have the equipment they prefer to use while allowing Vilo to assist with increasing WiFi coverage of the primary router. We suggest using this feature as a way to empower customers to take advantage of equipment they already own while highlighting how Vilo can enhance their overall experience.